Navigation

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Dead Voting Rights Act Veto: Local Residents Comment

Photo by Tom Arthur. Copyright Info 
HAGERSTOWN, MD - Governor Hogan's veto of the "Dead Voting Rights Act" has met mixed reaction with local residents.

The bipartisan bill, which Maryland Governor Hogan vetoed, was created to permanently legalize voting from beyond the grave.

One Hagerstown resident, who wished to remain anonymous, stated:
"The thought that this bill had bipartisan support is unreal. What politician in their right mind would want to allow unverifiable voting from someone who is six feet underground, and no longer has a pulse?"

However, not everyone in the area felt the bill was a bad idea. Small numbers of residents felt that not allowing the deceased to vote was discrimination based upon a medical condition.

Jonathan Hager, who founded Hagerstown and passed away in 1775, believed the bipartisanship of the bill showed how much our society has improved in equal rights.  "It's a commonly led misconception that the deceased only vote for Democrats. In the two hundred and forty years I've been gone, I've voted for just as many Republicans as I have Democrats."

Several local residents did express concern that despite the deceased voting still being illegal, that they'll continue to do so.

"I have no intention to stop voting," said Hager. "It was my right while I was alive, and it's still my right even though I'm deceased."

Eat recycled food. It's good for the environment, and okay for you. The Hagerstown Report is a satire website.

No comments:

Post a Comment